Football Facts, History and Traditions
The BYU Cougar football program has a proud championship heritage that includes a national championship, Heisman Trophy winner and Super Bowl champions
BYU Football Facts and History
- First football season: 1896
- First bowl appearance: 1974 Fiesta Bowl - The Cougars lost to Oklahoma State 16 to 6 in the late- December game.
- National Championships: 1 - Head Coach Lavell Edwards squad posted an undefeated 13-0 record that culminated with a Holiday Bowl win over Michigan. The Cougars ranked #1 in both the AP and Coaches Poll.
- Heisman Trophy Winners: Ty Detmer 1990 - The Cougars QB passed for 5,188 yards and 41 TD's. Detmer leading the Cougars to a victory over top ranked Miami provided Heisman momentum.
- Most Winningest Coach: Lavell Edwards - The Cougars coaching legend coached the University's football team from 1972-1990. With his pass-happy offensive philosophy, Edwards posted an overall record of 257-101-3 and guided the school to its only national championship.
- Super Bowl Winning QB's: Jim McMahon (Chicago) & Steve Young (San Francisco)